Sunday 27 September 2009

Saturday 26th of September

A very enjoyable day yesterday.

Arriving at RSPB Saltholme we where told the Buff-breasted Sandpiper had just gone from view. However we waited around looking for it and I counted the Snipe nuumbers around one small area. We where distracted by a darn Osprey flying over the reserve! ;) Then back to looking for the Buff-breasted Sandpiper and then someone spotted it! I got ok-ish views of it although quite distant. Also present where Snipe, Ruff, Redshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Lapwing, and Curlew. Buff-brested Sandpiper was a life tick for me!



Next up to Dorman's Pool with 2 TBC members (therefore I shouldn't get into trouble) Red-backed Shrike was present and showing very well! This was also a nice life tick for me.


(Red-backed Shrike - Dorman's Pool)

Then onto Saltholme bright an early when it opens at 10:00am! ;) Over to Haverton Hole and we stood for about 30 mins with nothing much apart from Teal, Shoveler, Mallard, Greenshank, and Black-tailed Godwit...............then a fellow birdwatcher from the bird club and myself where looking between 2 large thick clumps of reeds with water in the middle and there where the usual ducks on the dry land with a Greenshank and 2? Black-tailed Godiwits (can't remember) and out of no where swam the Blue-winged Teal from behind the left large clump fo reeds! My fellow bird club friend just confirmed what I was about to ask, when he said he had it! Cracking bird. Apparently it might be the same bird that keeps coming back to Satholme. Who knows? Another life tick!

(Blue-winged Teal concealed behind reeds - Note you can see the white on the birds head)

Then my last life tick is a strange one..............Purple Sandpiper. We went down to Hartlepool Headland where we had 2 Purple Sandpipers which is a life tick I never had seemed to have been able to get in the past. Perhaps as I wasn't really looking for them.

Life list updates:
204 – Buff-breasted Sandpiper
205 – Red-backed Shrike
206 – Blue-winged Teal
207 – Purple Sandpiper

Year list updates:
190 - Buff-breasted Sandpiper
191 - Red-backed Shrike
192 - Blue-winged Teal
193 - Purple Sandpiper

Till the next time..........Slender-billed Curlew.......I mean bye..
Andrew K

No comments:

Post a Comment