Sunday 11 October 2009

Club Trip to Northumberland - Drurdige & Holy Island

Was out on a Durham Bird Club trip today. Fantastic time, good birds + good company = fantastic day!


First of all we went along to Cresswell Pond and had a quick scan of the pools. Birds of note where: 3 Scaup, 1 Red-throated Diver, and Red-breasted Mergansers. Then straight to Druridge where I bumped into two of the lads who I am usually out with birding. A quick hello and "You’re not going to have that Glossy Ibis and me miss it" (All jokes obviously) then like a bullet out of a gun along to the hide with the Glossy Ibis. It had moved from right in front of the hide to the left hand side. Had a good look at the bird and watched it for quite a while. Fantastic bird! I am glad I got it after dipping it 2 Saturdays ago.





(Glossy Ibis - Druridge Pools)

Next we went onto Holy Island. The coach pulled up and we went straight for the Firecrest. Once we had arrived it started calling. I saw it briefly a few times and saw the supercilium. It was working its way along and Ando (A DBC friend) said to come over and sit at the end and we would see it. So we did that and sure enough it came out in full view for a few seconds and them disappeared, a moment I will probably never forget. What a fantastic bird! My favourite of the day. We left it in piece and then onto the rest of Holy Island.


Next to the “main” part of Holy Island and from here we had 2 Yellow-browed Warblers! Once of them showing really well with another mate of mine getting some great photos of it. I also saw my first ever Pied Flycatcher and Brent Goose! I also had fantastic close range views of a Lesser Whitethroat and Brambling.

5 life ticks!

Life List updates
209 – Glossy Ibis
210 – Firecrest
211 – Yellow-browed Warbler
212 – Pied Flycatcher
213 – Brent Geese

Year List updates
195 – Glossy Ibis
196 – Firecrest
197 – Yellow-browed Warbler
198 – Brambling
199 – Pied Flycatcher
200 – Brent Geese

Sixth from college tommorow! Yey! NOT!

2 comments:

  1. Great glossy's,fantastic tick.
    Well done.
    john.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased you enjoyed your trip up to my neck of the woods and was able to see the Glossy Ibis
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete