Sunday 21 March 2010

Dodgy Merganser and Fantastic Wader

Been very busy lately with work from college sadly so no real chance to bird much or update my blog. Yesterday was a good day although I wished I had went out today instead to look for Goshawks, next Saturday or Sunday hopefully.


The day started of with 3 fantastic Ruff at Castle Lake (DBC) reserve, but sadly these where the only birds of note at this fantastic nature reserve. I reckon it might turn up a really rare yank wader this year hopefully.

From here I went onto Teesside and first stop was Saltholme RSPB nature reserve, we visited the Salthome Pools hide where the Hooded Merganser showed superbly whilst I was there, this was a year tick for me. On the way back to the visitor centre a flock of Linnet where a nice surprise and another year tick for me.

Then we headed of to Dorman’s Pool and the Reclamation Pond, on the Rec Pond I picked up a Black-necked Grebe however it was a distant view in the bins but still fairly distinctive.

Last notable stop of the day was at Greenabella Marsh where I had good views of 10 Avocets.

Year List updates
130 – Hooded Merganser
131 – Linnet
132 – Avocet

So all in all a good day, hopefully I will be able to tick of Goshawk next week.
(Hooded Merganser - Teesside - Andrew Kinghorn)

No comments:

Post a Comment