Tuesday 24 August 2010

Check out this Sandpiper!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(Sandpiper)

( Both images used with permission from Microsoft, NO copyright infringement intended. The image above is the product of merging two images together.
Click here to see where I got the Beach image from: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/images/results.aspx?qu=beach#ai:MP900448547 )


Ok, so I didn’t get the chance to go and see the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper but I did get another life tick. Let’s just hope another one crops up in a more accessible place and let’s hope the bird is a bit more obliging. Newton Stringer did get to see it, and even Gary admits it was jammy that he saw it! Lol

I was however rewarded with pretty good views of an Icterine Warbler which was at the Leas Mound just outside of Trow Quarry. The bird showed pretty well, I got my best view when I was scanning through the bush and it appeared and I saw its head, chest, and bill as it was flitting around in the bush. It flew a bit further on and we all got good views of it when it was sitting out in the open for a few seconds on two different bushes. A cracking bird and the view I got must have been pretty good as I saw the white trailing edge to the bird’s secondaries, a distinguishing feature from Melodious Warbler. It was hoying it down and we thought best to leave to give the bird a rest. We got back to the car and the rain stopped and it came on nice weather. Typical! I think Jason T got really good views at 7:00, just after we had left. Oh well! There will be another chance for me to admire one soon I hope. A quick look at Whitburn Steel produced the Black Tern in flight as well as a few Roseates.

Life List update: http://andrewkinghorn.blogspot.com/2009/08/hello.html

Until next time, Foghorn out!

1 comment:

  1. its a pity these foreign sandpipers arent as easy to spot as the hordes of foreign soap-dodging asyllum seeking dole whallaz

    ReplyDelete