Saturday 27 August 2011

Sandew Curlpiper

Please view videos in HD, if your unsure how to do this CLICK HERE.

Out today with a mate and we went down to Teesside and started the day off at Saltholme RSPB, to my amazement the rain had pretty much stopped and it was turning out to be a nice day. We checked the causeway but sadly didn't see our target species of Curlew Sandpiper, however a mighty impressive 8 or so Ruff might have been a record for seeing that many all in the same scope view. A wander down to the main hide at Saltholme produced 1 distant Curlew Sandpiper on the causeway, this bird just appeared as it wasn't present 30 minutes previous! From here we moved onto Greatham Creek to see what we could turn up we have another impressive 24 Ruff aswell as a single Black-tailed Godwit, single Common Sandpiper, and a further 2 Curlew Sandpiper. We moved onto Seal Sands and had Golden Plover, a single Knot, about 550 Redshank, 18 Black-tailed Godwit, and yes another Curlew Sandpiper! So the tally was at least 4 Curlew Sandpiper. By the time we left the tidal pools the Curlew Sandpiper we had at Seal Sands had moved to the RSPB date with nature watchpoint.

Our next port of call was Seaton Snook, we walked out toward the point when Derek picked up some waders in front of us and said "Guess what's in there?", I looked at him and thought for a few seconds and replied with "Curlew Sand?". Sure enough a further 2 Curlew Sandpiper with some Ringed Plover. Nothing else much on the Snook however 2 flyover Whimbrel added to the atmosphere and about 25 Shag added some interest.  Day rounded off at Blackhall where the Common Scoter were present but still no further sign of the reported Surf Scoter. Dropped Derek off about 3 in the afternoon and I decided knowing the Spotted Redshank had been seen at Shibdon Pond to go up and have a look. On the way up in the car I said yo myself that I was determined to get this bird on my Durham year list having missed them now on at least 2 occasions. When I arrived a scan didn't look hopeful producing only Redshanks, then eventually I picked the Spotted Redshank up (and relax). I made my way to the hide where I had excellent views of a single Snipe, Spotted Redshank, 24 Redshank, and 1 Green Sandpiper. Brilliant way to end a brilliant day.

 (Spotted Redshank - © Andrew Kinghorn)

  (Spotted Redshank - © Andrew Kinghorn)

  (Spotted Redshank - © Andrew Kinghorn)


 (Green Sandpiper - © Andrew Kinghorn)

 (Green Sandpiper - © Andrew Kinghorn)


I tried to string this Herring Gull into juv Yellow-legged but failed:

 (Herring Gull - © Andrew Kinghorn)

This Lesser black-backed Gull was a nice I thought, but then being a weird gull fan I am easily pleased.

(Lesser black-backed Gull - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Although reading my post you may think "has he not just seen the same Curlew Sandpipers moving about during the day?". The answer I believe is; no. I studied each bird and I am fairly sure that I saw at least 7 different Curlew Sandpipers today.

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment