Thursday 22 September 2011

Memories Part 1 - 10/11/2010 - Wacko Squacco and Grebe

The previous day of the date above in the title I was sat in University and checked Rare Bird Alert website, I was a bit surprised to see a Pied-billed Grebe had been seen down near Manchester. A superb looking bird and the last grebe I needed to complete my list of grebes on the UK list. It was a juvenile and not as stunning as an adult but the next day saw me heading down. We arrived and a large crowd was massing, it didn't take long to get to the small enclosed area where the bird was feeding. It was a pleasure to watch this bird go about its business and I was treat to some stunning views. The bill was very striking and separates the species instantly from Little Grebe. As I was standing enjoying the bird I had received a text, a mate had just been to Northumberland and had enjoyed some excellent views of a Squacco Heron. I new it had been seen briefly in recent days but to know it was now on show and easy to see I was very keen to see the bird. I rounded up the other two lads and said something along the lines of this: "Right then lets go, a Squacco Heron is on show in Morpeth." One of them laughed, "No, i'm serious."

(Pied-billed Grebe - Derek Charlton)

Another 3 or so hours later and we were standing in Morpeth watching a stunning Squacco Heron, it was performing superbly well and to this day it is the only one I have seen. I went back for seconds days later and again got some brilliant views of these stunning herons.

(Squacco Heron - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment