Sunday 9 October 2011

Dowbill Longwitcher

So there I was on Friday having a rest from learning how to build a Oracle database using SQL language (it is as exciting as it sounds!) when I heard news that a Long-billed Dowitcher turned up in Caerlaverock WWT it took me the whole of about 30 seconds to decide I was going to make the trip to Dumfries and Galloway to see this stunning wader.

When I arrived I paid a small fortune to get into the reserve and made my way to the tower hide, the lack of birders on site wasn't promising and I thought a dip was sure to follow. I picked up a Snipe which got me excited for the whole 0.23 seconds.A short while later I picked the Long-billed Dowitcher in with some Eurasian Teal (and relax). Spent a few hours in the Folly Pond hide and had some cracking views of the bird even though it did spend about 1 and half hours asleep! I did at one point see the bird flex its bill when it had a yawn; brilliant! An ace bird and a good day, saw my first large flocks of Barnacle Geese of the winter and singles of Whooper Swan reminding me that winter is literally just around the corner.

(Long-billed Dowitcher - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Please view videos in HD, if unsure how to do this CLICK HERE.

(Long-billed Dowitcher - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment