Thursday 17 November 2011

Bean and gone.

On Wedensday I went back for seconds at Low Hauxley NR in Northumberland and has amazing views of the Greater Yellowlegs, down to literally 10ft for about 5 mins. A moment I will never forget. After having a look at this cracker I went to go and look for a Tundra Bean Goose that was in the area with the 80 or so White-fronted Geese. Sadly just as I got to the hide to start scanning the side of the flock I couldn't see from the hide I'd just been in all the geese took off and flew towards Amble. A drive toward Amble didn't produce the flock so I went onto East Chevington NWT to see if the Green-winged Teal was going to play ball, it would be rude not to take a look as I was in the area. However on arrival I noticed a flock of geese in front of the hide and sure enough they were White-fronted Gesse, checked through and it became clear it was the flock from Hauxley as there sitting in among them was the Tundra Bean Goose. Brilliant! Best views I have ever had of the species on deck, fairly close and good views through the scope. Never saw the Green-winged Teal but wasn't to bothered.

(Tundra Bean Goose - © Andrew Kinghorn)


(Tundra Bean Goose - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Today I was text by Gary Crowder and Stevie Evans informing me the White-fronted Geese were back in front of the hide at Rainton. Shortly after a text came through about some Tundra Bean Geese...drat. Finished Uni early today but it wasn't much help as the birds left 30 mins before I arrived after being there for about 4 hours. Typical! Did see 6 White-fronted Geese and 1 Pink-foot, the White-fronts were the first local ones I had ever seen. Though the highlight was 12 Whooper Swans which flew over the reserve and appeared as though they were going to land but headed off South West calling to each other, the sun was setting and it was a picture perfect scene. Brilliant. Still annoyed about the Tundra Bean's though. Oh well.

(White-fronted Geese - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Now I just hope that Eastern Black Redstart sticks on Holy Island until Saturday, though I doubt it!

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment