Friday 30 March 2012

Durham Dales

Although most of my time has been taken up with University assignment commitments I have managed to squeeze out now and then for some birding. Has been mainly based over the dales where I have been spending some time enjoying the Goshawks. Its hard to say how many I have seen for certain but I have definitely seen at least 4 different birds but perhaps 5, one male is particularly regular in one spot and is generally very fierce. I've watched him attempting to kill a Woodpigeon and seen him see of a large female Sparrowhawk with ease. He performed superbly today when he fanned his undertail coverts out and became a diamond shape with his slow rowing wing action. Superb and thoroughly enjoyable to watch. The female Goshawk I have seen is more than mighty impressive, it is certainly the biggest one I have seen. Also today it was good to seea bird I haven't seen in Durham for just under 2 years; Green Woodpecker. Heard 3 birds and one showed well in perfect conditions, cracking views. I think I've always had a soft spot for Green Woodpecker. Another notable highlight would have to be the male and female Ring Ouzel I saw today, best views I have had of the species to date on a calm and peaceful sunny afternoon. 

However my highlight has to be the Osprey, which I found today at around 09.45 am which caused much panic amongst the local birds. I picked up the bird soaring over Hamsterley Forest and was half surprised to see it, while at the same time half expecting I might see one as its always a good time of year to look for a passing Osprey

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment